The featured depots for March include the L&N Railway at Talladega, AL; Foley, AL; Athens, AL; Montgomery, AL; and Guntersville, AL; and the GM&O Railway at Mobile, AL.
The L&N depot at Talladega, Alabama was built in 1906. It stayed an active station until the early 1970’s. After the railroad vacated the building it was restored and now serves as headquarters for the Talladega Chamber of Commerce.
The L&N depot at Foley, Alabama was built in 1905. It burned to the ground three years later and was replaced by the current station, which remained in service until 1971 when the L&N discontinued service to Foley. At this time the depot was moved to Magnolia Springs where it was used as a warehouse until 1991. The depot was then moved back to its original location site and now houses the Foley Alabama Railroad Museum.
The L&N Freight Depot in Athens, Alabama was built in 1928. It has been restored and now houses the Limestone County Archives and the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives.
The L&N Union Station in Montgomery, Alabama opened in 1898. It remained in operation until 1979. After some years the station was restored, giving the viewer a sense of how it looked when it first opened. The center core of the building is occupied by the Montgomery’s Visitor Center.
The L&N depot at Guntersville, Alabama was originally built by the NC&StL Railway in 1892. The depot has been restored and now houses a museum.
The GM&O depot at Mobile, Alabama was constructed in 1905-1906 by the Mobile & Ohio Rwy. The Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad (Successor to the Mobile & Ohio) remained in the building until 1986. After being vacant for years it was purchased by the City of Mobile and restored. It currently is the headquarters for the Metro Transit Authority, the local bus company.
Images courtesy of Dale Burns (alabamarailpics.com).
Rock on Trains © 2013, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.