Central of Georgia Steam Feature for September 2019

Featured Central of Georgia steam subjects for this September post include various locations in Alabama and Georgia:

All images courtesy of Mr. Donald R. Hensley, Jr. at Tap Lines.


Rock on Trains © 2019, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions.  All rights reserved.  Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Belton, SC / Conway, SC / Heath Springs, SC / Albertville, AL / Andalusia, AL

Featured depots on July’s Depot Doings are located in Belton, SC; Conway, SC; Heath Springs, SC; Albertville, AL; and Andalusia, AL.

The depot at Belton, SC, was constructed by the Southern Railway around 1910. Due to its location near the town square, it was an important focal point of the area. After the loss of passenger service in the 1960’s and a slowdown in freight shipping, the depot was abandoned by the Southern and acquired by the city. The depot was placed on the National Historic Register on August 13, 1979. Restoration efforts were completed in 1983. Following restoration a portion of the museum housed the Anderson County Library until 2004 when it was relocated. In 2006, the depot became the new home to the Ruth Drake Museum and South Carolina Tennis Hall of Fame Museum.

Southern Depot - Belton, SC (Credit: www.panoramio.com)

Southern Depot – Belton, SC (Credit: http://www.panoramio.com)

The depot at Conway, SC, was constructed by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1928. It is a long, rectangular, one-story, gable-roofed, frame board-an-batten building. It features wide overhanging eaves. The depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 18, 1995. The Atlantic Coast Line was eventually absorbed into the Carolina Southern Railroad which is a member of the Carolina Rails system. Excursion trains on the Waccamaw Coast Line occasionally run from Conway.

Atlantic Coast Line Depot - Conway, SC (Credit: www.condrenrails.com)

Atlantic Coast Line Depot – Conway, SC (Credit: http://www.condrenrails.com)

The depot at Heath Springs, SC, was constructed by the Southern Railway in 1903. Its primary use was in the transportation of cotton, cottonseed and cotton oil products from nearby farms and cotton oil mills, textiles and granite from a nearby quarry. The depot served Southern Railway freight and passengers from 1903-1940. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1990.

Southern Depot - Heath Springs, SC (Credit: www.sciway.net)

Southern Depot – Heath Springs, SC (Credit: http://www.sciway.net)

The depot at Albertville, AL, was constructed by the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway in 1892, one year after the town was incorporated. The building measures 112 ft x 40 ft and is divided into three rooms: two offices and one large warehouse. Passenger service ended in the 1940’s, although the depot remained in use for freight. The depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 20, 1975. The building was renovated for use as a seniors center in the mid-1990’s. A former L&N caboose next to the depot houses the Albertville Museum.

NC&StL Depot - Albertville, AL (Credit: wikipedia.org)

NC&StL Depot – Albertville, AL (Credit: wikipedia.org)

The depot at Andalusia, AL, was constructed by the Central of Georgia Railroad in 1899. It is the oldest and only wooden commercial building in downtown Andalusia. The depot now houses the Three Notch Museum, which includes the depot, several railroad cars, a country store, a log cabin, railroad memorabilia and period items. The restored depot is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Central of Georgia Depot - Andalusia, AL (Credit: www.flickr.com)

Central of Georgia Depot – Andalusia, AL (Credit: http://www.flickr.com)


Rock on Trains © 2015, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Valdosta, GA / Hogansville, GA / Knoxville, TN / Homestead, FL / Montezuma, GA / Marshallville, GA

Depot Doings for January 2014:

Atlantic Coast Line depot is Valdosta, GA (1964); Atlanta & West Point depot, Hogansville, GA (2009); Southern Railway depot, Knoxville, TN (1970’s); Florida East Coast depot, Homestead, FL (1964); Central of Georgia depot, Montezuma, GA (1978); Central of Georgia depot, Marshallville, GA (1978).

  • The ACL depot in Valdosta, GA was built in 1907 and razed in 1994.
  • The FEC depot in Homestead, FL has been removed and relocated to the Pioneer Museum at Florida City, FL.
  • The AWP depot in Hogansville, Georgia, was constructed between 1890 and 1900. After the railroad vacated the depot, it was used for a time as a childcare center. Between 2003 and 2007 it was restored for use as a railroad-themed restaurant.
  • The Southern Railway station at Knoxville, Tennessee, was built in 1903. Following the departure of the last passenger train in August 1970 it started to fall into disrepair. The station was fully restored in 1989 and now serves as the headquarters for a prominent architectural firm.
  • The C of G depot at Marshallville, GA was built in 1912. It has been restored and now houses a restaurant.
  • The C of G depot at Montezuma, GA was constructed in 1890 with additions added in 1924 and 1929. The building was restored in 2001-2002 and now serves as the Macon County Museum.

All images courtesy of www.rr-fallenflags.org.


Rock on Trains © 2014, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions.  All rights reserved.  Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Opp, AL / Cullman, AL / Dothan, AL / Eufaula, AL / Lafayette, AL / Enterprise, AL

February’s featured depots include the L&N Railway at Opp, AL (2004), and Cullman, AL (2007), along with the Atlantic Coast Line Railway at Dothan, AL (2004), the Central of Georgia Railway at Eufaula, AL (2008) and Lafayette, AL (2008), and the Alabama Midland Railway at Enterprise, AL (2009).

The L&N depot at Opp, AL was constructed in 1928 and is currently owned by the Alabama and Florida Railway.

The L&N depot at Cullman, AL was built in 1913. The CSX Railroad section crews used the depot until March 23, 1990, when the City of Cullman purchased it for restoration. It currently houses offices of the Cullman County United Way.

The ACL depot at Dothan, AL was constructed in 1907. The railroad used this station until 1985 when it was closed. It laid dormant until the City of Dothan purchased it in 1989 from CSX to prevent its demolition. In 2007 and 2008, Wiregrass Transit Authority restored the building to serve as its headquarters.

The C of G Freight depot at Eufaula, AL was constructed in 1889. The Freight depot remained in service until the late 1980’s when it was acquired by the City of Eufaula. It was restored in 1999 and now houses the Eufaula Chamber of Commerce.

The C of G depot at Lafayette, AL was constructed in 1908 and now houses the Chambers County Museum.

The Alabama Midland Railway depot at Enterprise, AL was erected in 1903. In 1974 the Pea River Historical Society purchased the depot and began operation as a museum.

Images courtesy of Dale Burns (alabamarailpics.com).


Rock on Trains © 2013, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions.  All rights reserved.  Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.