Depot Doings: Tate, GA / Ellijay, GA / Evergreen, AL / Milton, FL / Pascagoula, MS / Hopkinsville, KY

Featured Louisville & Nashville depots this month are in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, and Kentucky:

The depot at Tate, GA was built in 1916. Over 100 years later, it is now restored and has relocated across from its original site, though its current purpose is unknown.

The depot at Ellijay, GA was built in 1912. It is a picturesque wood-frame structure similar to others along the “Hook and Eye” line. No longer in railroad use, it currently houses a local business.

The depot at Evergreen, AL was built in 1907. The building has been totally restored even though it was threatened by demolition in the 1970s. It currently houses the Evergreen-Conech County Chamber of Commerce.

The depot at Milton, FL was built in 1909 on the site of the former Pensacola and Atlantic depot, built in 1882, which burned down in 1907. In 1973, the station was closed, but partially restored with a 1976 Bicentennial grant. Today the building is owned by the Santa Rosa Historical Society.

The depot at Pascagoula, MS was built in 1904. It was restored during the 1970s and converted into an Amtrak station. In addition, the station serves as an art gallery owned by the Singing River Art Association.

The depot at Hopkinsville, KY was built in 1892. It is a single story framed building with a slate roof. During its operation, it was the only L&N station between Evansville, IN and Nashville, TN where it was legal to drink alcohol, thus giving Hopkinsville the nickname, “Hop Town.” It currently houses the Pennyrile Arts Council.

Rock on Trains © 2019, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Talladega, AL / Foley, AL / Athens, AL / Montgomery, AL / Guntersville, AL

Featured L&N Railway depots this month are those in Alabama:

The L&N depot at Talladega, Alabama was built in 1906. It stayed an active station until the early 1970’s. After the railroad vacated the building it was restored and now serves as headquarters for the Talladega Chamber of Commerce.

The L&N depot at Foley, Alabama was built in 1905. It burned to the ground three years later and was replaced by the current station, which remained in service until 1971 when the L&N discontinued service to Foley. At this time the depot was moved to Magnolia Springs where it was used as a warehouse until 1991. The depot was then moved back to its original location site and now houses the Foley Alabama Railroad Museum.

The L&N Freight Depot in Athens, Alabama was built in 1928. It has been restored and now houses the Limestone County Archives and the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives.

The L&N Union Station in Montgomery, Alabama opened in 1898. It remained in operation until 1979. After some years the station was restored, giving the viewer a sense of how it looked when it first opened. The center core of the building is occupied by the Montgomery’s Visitor Center.

The L&N depot at Guntersville, Alabama was originally built by the NC&StL Railway in 1892. The depot has been restored and now houses a museum.

Images courtesy of Dale Burns.

Rock on Trains © 2019, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions.  All rights reserved.  Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Bridgeport, AL / Blue Ridge, GA / Chatsworth, GA / Murphy, NC / Decherd, TN / Tullahoma, TN

Featured L&N Railway depots for this October post include various locations in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee:

  • L&N Depot – Bridgeport, AL – 1980
  • L&N Depot – Blue Ridge, GA – 1981
  • L&N Depot – Chatsworth, GA – 1980
  • L&N Depot – Murphy, NC – 1978
  • L&N Depot – Decherd, TN – 1978
  • L&N Depot – Tullahoma, TN – 1978

All photos courtesy of Tom Rock.

Rock on Trains © 2018, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Florala, AL / Geneva, AL / Defuniak Springs, FL / Clarksville, TN

Featured Louisville & Nashville depots on the blog this month are those in Alabama, Florida, and Tennessee:

  • Florala, AL – 4/1/77
  • Geneva, AL – 1/21/86
  • Defuniak Springs, FL – 3/30/92
  • Clarksville, TN – 12/29/08

All photos courtesy of Railroad Picture Archives.

Rock on Trains © 2017, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Huntsville, AL / Louisville, KY / Mascoutah, IL / Foley, AL / Nashville, TN

LN-logoFeatured Louisville & Nashville depots on the blog this month are those in Huntsville, AL, Louisville, KY, Mascoutah, IL, Foley, AL, and Nashville, TN.

HUNTSVILLE, AL – The Huntsville Depot located on the Norfolk Southern Railway line in downtown Huntsville is the oldest surviving railroad depot in Alabama and one of the oldest in the United States. Completed in 1860, the depot served as eastern division headquarters for the Memphis and Charleston Railroad.[3] It is listed on both the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage and National Register of Historic Places.[1][2]

Huntsville was occupied by Union forces in 1862 during the Civil War as a strategic point on the railroad and the depot was used as a prison for Confederate soldiers. Graffiti left by the soldiers can still be seen on the walls. The Huntsville Depot saw its last regularly scheduled passenger train, Southern Railway’s The Tennessean, on March 30, 1968. Today the Depot serves as a museum, part of the Early Works Museum.

Information courtesy of

LOUISVILLE, KY – The Union Station of Louisville, Kentucky is a historic railroad station that serves as offices for the Transit Authority of River City, as it has since mid-April 1980 after receiving a year-long restoration costing approximately $2 million. It was one of three union stations in Kentucky, the other two being in Paducah and Owensboro. It superseded previous, smaller, railroad depots located in Louisville, most notably one located at Tenth and Maple in 1868-1869, and another L&N station built in 1858. The station was formally opened on September 7, 1891 by the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. There was a claim made at the time that it was the largest railroad station in the Southern United States, covering forty acres (16 ha).[2]

Union Station provided the entrance to Louisville for many visitors, with its height being the 1920s, when it served 58 trains a day. As a Union Station, it served not only the L&N railroad, but also the Monon Railroad, the Pennsylvania Railroad and the Louisville, Henderson, & St. Louis, the latter eventually merging with the L&N. Many of those traveling to the Kentucky Derby would use the Union Station as their first place of celebration, with twenty special trains coming to the facility, and Pullman cars allowing overnight accommodations, a trend that continued until the mid-1960s. Three separate United States presidents arrived in Louisville by Union Station.

Information courtesy of

MASCOUTAH, IL – In 1870, the St. Louis and Southeastern Railway Company built a depot in Mascoutah, Illinois. On September 8, 1870 it inaugurated the town’s first train service. In 1879, the Nashville Chattanooga and St. Louis Railroad bought this railroad, which itself was taken over by the L&N Railroad in 1880. In June 1975, the town of Mascoutah bought the depot from the L&N for $1.00, and in early July moved it to Scheve Park. The depot soon became the centerpiece for homecomings and other activities.

FOLEY, AL – Located in the old L & N Railroad Depot is Foley’s Museum Archives. The first depot was built in 1905 when Mr. John B. Foley of Chicago used some of his own money to bring the railroad to the southern part of Baldwin County. This first depot burned to the ground, and a second station took its place in 1908. The railroad line was a spur from Bay Minette and ended approximately a mile south of Foley. At that end, there was a wye when the train could turn around.

The depot and the railroad became the center of activity for the growing town of Foley. At this time, the area was primarily agricultural so the railroad was vital to getting the produce to market. During “shipping” season, thousands of boxcars would pull out of Foley loaded with potatoes, corn, gladiolas, and many other types of produce that was grown in the area.

In 1971, the L & N Railroad discontinued their services to Foley. It was the intention of the company to tear down the depot. However, John Snook, owner of Gulf Telephone Company, bought the building for one dollar. He then moved the whole building to Magnolia Springs, a small community five miles West of Foley. For 24 years, Mr. Snook used the building as a warehouse for the phone company before deeding it to the City of Foley. In 1995, the depot was returned to Foley and placed back in its original location.

The City has since turned the depot into a museum. Here, you will find pictures and artifacts that depict the culture of South Baldwin County, especially the City of Foley. The Museum is open Monday through Friday from 10am – 4pm.

Information courtesy of Foley Railroad Museum.

NASHVILLE, TN – This National Historic Landmark symbolizes the power of railroad companies, specifically the Louisville and Nashville (L&N) Railroad, over the transportation and economy of turn-of-the-century Tennessee. Built between 1898 and 1900, and designed by L&N company engineer Richard Montfort, the building is a significant Tennessee example of Richardsonian Romanesque style. The magnificent passenger train shed, which measured 250 by 500 feet with a clear span of 200 feet, was an engineering marvel for its time. In 1900 it was the longest single-span, gable roof structure in the country. After a fire damaged the shed, and no viable preservation alternatives were identified, the shed was razed in late 2000.

For seven decades, Union Station served Nashville passengers as a massive stone gateway to the metropolitan corridor represented by the national rail system. In 1975 the station was condemned and closed; Amtrak continued to use the shed for passenger traffic until 1979. Metropolitan Nashville officials acquired the rapidly deteriorating structure in 1985; by the following year, Union Station had been restored as a hotel and restaurant. It has served that function ever since and once again is a prominent Nashville architectural and historical landmark.

Information courtesy of Carroll Van West, The Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture.

All photos courtesy of

Rock on Trains © 2016, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.