Louisville & Nashville Railway Steam Feature for July 2017

Featured L&N Railway steam subjects this month include various locations throughout the historic and musical cities of New Orleans, Louisiana and Nashville, Tennessee:

  • L&N #245 – New Orleans, LA – 10/15/50
  • L&N #263 – New Orleans, LA – 6/15/51
  • L&N #264 – New Orleans, LA – 5/15/51
  • L&N #265 – New Orleans, LA – 6/6/48
  • L&N #269 – New Orleans, LA – 10/15/50
  • L&N #412 – Nashville, TN – 7/1/36
  • L&N #1279 – New Orleans, LA – 2/15/51
  • L&N #1580 – New Orleans, LA – 1/15/51

All photos courtesy of Railroad Picture Archives.


Rock on Trains © 2017, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

 

 

Louisville & Nashville Railway Steam Feature for March 2017

Featured L&N Railway steam subjects for this March post include various locations in Kentucky, Illinois, Alabama, Tennessee, Indiana, and Ohio:

  • L&N #238 – Louisville, KY – 2/2/35
  • L&N #247 – East St. Louis, IL – 5/39
  • L&N #253 – Mobile, AL – 5/51
  • L&N #276 – Nashville, TN – 7/48
  • L&N #295 – Evansville, IN – 6/49
  • L&N #406 – Cincinnati, OH – 10/38

All photos courtesy of Ron’s Rec Room.


Rock on Trains © 2017, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Nashville, IL / Knoxville, TN / Wetumpka, AL / Cartersville, GA

LN-logoFeatured Louisville & Nashville depots on the blog this month are those in Nashville, IL; Knoxville, TN; Wetumpka, AL; and Cartersville, GA.

The depot at Knoxville was built in 1905. It served as a passenger station until 1968 when the L&N ceased passenger service to Knoxville. The station continued to house L&N offices until 1975. It remained vacant until 1980 when Alex Harkness and his partners purchased it. In 1982 it was renovated for use during the Worlds Fair. In 1985 it was further renovated by Alex Harkness and Station 82 partners for use as office and special events.

The depot at Nashville, Illinois, was built in 1885 as part of the L&N’s expansion through Southern Illinois in the 1880’s. The building has a simple vernacular design common to L&N depots in small towns, which were intended to be functional rather than elaborate. The depot also served as an information center for Nashville. The depot remained in service as late as the 1950’s but closed sometime prior to 1984. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places March 1, 1985.

The depot in Wetumpka, Alabama, was built in 1906. The station served as a passenger and freight depot until service was terminated in the 1930’s and as a freight depot until 1973. In 1975 it was purchased by the First Methodist Church of Wetumpka and listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Cartersville, Georgia’s former NC&StL depot looks a bit stubby because the freight room, which occupied some three-fourths of the buildings 200 foot length was demolished in 1972. The surviving passenger section dates to 1902. Parts of the walls on the freight side are older, dating back to the 1850’s and 1860’s. The original Western & Atlantic depot on this site was constructed in 1854. In 1890 the W&A was leased to the NC&StL which merged with the L&N in 1957. L&N was folded into CSX in 1980. CSX still operates the line under a lease from the State of Georgia, which has owned it through its entire history.


Rock on Trains © 2015, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Tate, GA / Ellijay, GA / Evergreen, AL / Milton, FL / Pascagoula, MS / Hopkinsville, KY

LN-logoFeatured Louisville & Nashville depots on the blog this month are those in Tate, GA; Ellijay, GA; Evergreen, AL; Milton, FL; Pascagoula, MS; and Hopkinsville, KY.

The depot at Tate, GA was built in 1916 and is now owned by the Georgia Northeastern Railroad where it is currently used as a crew base for the yard and business office.

The depot at Ellijay, GA was built in 1912. It is a picturesque wood-frame structure similar to others along the “Hook and Eye” line. No longer in railroad use, it currently houses a local business.

The depot at Evergreen, AL was built in 1907. The building has been totally restored even though it was threatened by demolition in the 1970s. It currently houses the Evergreen-Conech County Chamber of Commerce.

The depot at Milton, FL was built in 1909 on the site of the former Pensacola and Atlantic depot, built in 1882, which burned down in 1907. In 1973, the station was closed, but partially restored with a 1976 Bicentennial grant. Today the building is owned by the Santa Rosa Historical Society.

The depot at Pascagoula, MS was built in 1904. It was restored during the 1970s and converted into an Amtrak station. In addition, the the station serves as an art gallery owned by the Singing River Art Association.

The depot at Hopkinsville, KY was built in 1892. It is a single story framed building with a slate roof. During its operation, it was the only L&N station between Evansville, IN and Nashville, TN where it was legal to drink alcohol, thus giving Hopkinsville the nickname, “Hop Town”. It currently houses the Pennyrile Arts Council.


Rock on Trains © 2014, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

25th Anniversary of Joint Effort, L&N Depot print

This October, Tom Rock will be releasing a 25th Anniversary Edition print of his 1988 painting of the Etowah L&N depot, Joint Effort. This print measures 24″x33″ and will be limited to 25 signed and numbered copies. The following small color image shows what the anniversary print will look like when it is released:

JointEffort25thPrint

Also included will be a 20-minute DVD documentary that was filmed on November 27, 1988, during the festivities at the depot surrounding the official signing of this print. Anyone interested in ordering one or more of these prints can request information by clicking here or calling 423.472.9600 for more details.


Rock on Trains © 2013, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions.  All rights reserved.  Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Talladega, AL / Foley, AL / Athens, AL / Montgomery, AL / Guntersville, AL / Mobile, AL

The featured depots for March include the L&N Railway at Talladega, AL; Foley, AL; Athens, AL; Montgomery, AL; and Guntersville, AL; and the GM&O Railway at Mobile, AL.

The L&N depot at Talladega, Alabama was built in 1906. It stayed an active station until the early 1970’s. After the railroad vacated the building it was restored and now serves as headquarters for the Talladega Chamber of Commerce.

The L&N depot at Foley, Alabama was built in 1905. It burned to the ground three years later and was replaced by the current station, which remained in service until 1971 when the L&N discontinued service to Foley. At this time the depot was moved to Magnolia Springs where it was used as a warehouse until 1991. The depot was then moved back to its original location site and now houses the Foley Alabama Railroad Museum.

The L&N Freight Depot in Athens, Alabama was built in 1928. It has been restored and now houses the Limestone County Archives and the Alabama Veterans Museum and Archives.

The L&N Union Station in Montgomery, Alabama opened in 1898. It remained in operation until 1979. After some years the station was restored, giving the viewer a sense of how it looked when it first opened. The center core of the building is occupied by the Montgomery’s Visitor Center.

The L&N depot at Guntersville, Alabama was originally built by the NC&StL Railway in 1892. The depot has been restored and now houses a museum.

The GM&O depot at Mobile, Alabama was constructed in 1905-1906 by the Mobile & Ohio Rwy. The Gulf, Mobile & Ohio Railroad (Successor to the Mobile & Ohio) remained in the building until 1986. After being vacant for years it was purchased by the City of Mobile and restored. It currently is the headquarters for the Metro Transit Authority, the local bus company.

Images courtesy of Dale Burns (alabamarailpics.com).


Rock on Trains © 2013, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions.  All rights reserved.  Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.

Depot Doings: Opp, AL / Cullman, AL / Dothan, AL / Eufaula, AL / Lafayette, AL / Enterprise, AL

February’s featured depots include the L&N Railway at Opp, AL (2004), and Cullman, AL (2007), along with the Atlantic Coast Line Railway at Dothan, AL (2004), the Central of Georgia Railway at Eufaula, AL (2008) and Lafayette, AL (2008), and the Alabama Midland Railway at Enterprise, AL (2009).

The L&N depot at Opp, AL was constructed in 1928 and is currently owned by the Alabama and Florida Railway.

The L&N depot at Cullman, AL was built in 1913. The CSX Railroad section crews used the depot until March 23, 1990, when the City of Cullman purchased it for restoration. It currently houses offices of the Cullman County United Way.

The ACL depot at Dothan, AL was constructed in 1907. The railroad used this station until 1985 when it was closed. It laid dormant until the City of Dothan purchased it in 1989 from CSX to prevent its demolition. In 2007 and 2008, Wiregrass Transit Authority restored the building to serve as its headquarters.

The C of G Freight depot at Eufaula, AL was constructed in 1889. The Freight depot remained in service until the late 1980’s when it was acquired by the City of Eufaula. It was restored in 1999 and now houses the Eufaula Chamber of Commerce.

The C of G depot at Lafayette, AL was constructed in 1908 and now houses the Chambers County Museum.

The Alabama Midland Railway depot at Enterprise, AL was erected in 1903. In 1974 the Pea River Historical Society purchased the depot and began operation as a museum.

Images courtesy of Dale Burns (alabamarailpics.com).


Rock on Trains © 2013, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions.  All rights reserved.  Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.