Featured depots on July’s Depot Doings are located in Belton, SC; Conway, SC; Heath Springs, SC; Albertville, AL; and Andalusia, AL.
The depot at Belton, SC, was constructed by the Southern Railway around 1910. Due to its location near the town square, it was an important focal point of the area. After the loss of passenger service in the 1960’s and a slowdown in freight shipping, the depot was abandoned by the Southern and acquired by the city. The depot was placed on the National Historic Register on August 13, 1979. Restoration efforts were completed in 1983. Following restoration a portion of the museum housed the Anderson County Library until 2004 when it was relocated. In 2006, the depot became the new home to the Ruth Drake Museum and South Carolina Tennis Hall of Fame Museum.
The depot at Conway, SC, was constructed by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1928. It is a long, rectangular, one-story, gable-roofed, frame board-an-batten building. It features wide overhanging eaves. The depot was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 18, 1995. The Atlantic Coast Line was eventually absorbed into the Carolina Southern Railroad which is a member of the Carolina Rails system. Excursion trains on the Waccamaw Coast Line occasionally run from Conway.
The depot at Heath Springs, SC, was constructed by the Southern Railway in 1903. Its primary use was in the transportation of cotton, cottonseed and cotton oil products from nearby farms and cotton oil mills, textiles and granite from a nearby quarry. The depot served Southern Railway freight and passengers from 1903-1940. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on January 4, 1990.
The depot at Albertville, AL, was constructed by the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway in 1892, one year after the town was incorporated. The building measures 112 ft x 40 ft and is divided into three rooms: two offices and one large warehouse. Passenger service ended in the 1940’s, although the depot remained in use for freight. The depot was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on February 20, 1975. The building was renovated for use as a seniors center in the mid-1990’s. A former L&N caboose next to the depot houses the Albertville Museum.
NC&StL Depot – Albertville, AL (Credit: wikipedia.org)
The depot at Andalusia, AL, was constructed by the Central of Georgia Railroad in 1899. It is the oldest and only wooden commercial building in downtown Andalusia. The depot now houses the Three Notch Museum, which includes the depot, several railroad cars, a country store, a log cabin, railroad memorabilia and period items. The restored depot is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Rock on Trains © 2015, Tom Rock + T.D.R. Productions. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from Tom Rock is strictly prohibited.